Happy New Year! I have had some inspiring conversations with clients this week. It is so rewarding to work with people who are passionate about what they do and focused on what’s next.
The kids have gone back to school, we are in our first full work-week of the year, and everyone I meet has a list of resolutions or goals they want to accomplish to make this year matter.
At the end of the year, on December 31, when you look back at the accomplishments you have made, the progress you have seen, and the journey you have experienced, what do you want it to look like?
The mantra at Spark Plug Labs is – “Do one thing every day that matters, establish great habits, keep a positive mental attitude, and you will hit your goals.” It sounds simple but sometimes it can be very difficult to keep that momentum going until we reach our goals.
What’s one thing you can do every day to stay focused on your commitments? How do you keep that momentum going?
Here are seven steps to help you stay motivated and get closer to your goals.
- Find an accountability partner. This could be a coworker, a spouse, a friend - someone who will help you stay on track to accomplish what you really want. Share your goals and ask that person to hold you accountable. Set weekly check-ins and find ways to motivate each other.
- Write it down. Use a vision board, add it to your calendar in Outlook, or write it on a white board. Put it in a place where you will see it everyday. Use pictures to help you visualize what it is you really want so you know why you are doing what you are doing.
- Don’t doubt yourself. I work with very accomplished individuals who have incredible goals and I don’t doubt them for a second. Everything they have done up until now shows that they will succeed. And still, they get to a point where what they are trying to do gets hard and they want to give up or change directions. Rest. Take a deep breath. Close your eyes. Remember why you set these goals and then find a way to return to your focus.
- Ask for help. You are not alone. There are a lot of people out there who want to help you but they may not know that you need help if you don’t ask. Find the people who can help you and let them know how they can help.
- Create your own mantra. What would you say to yourself to keep yourself on track with your goals? Write it down and read it out loud every morning when you wake up.
- Enjoy the moment. You set these goals for a reason. Even if it is hard work, you can enjoy the journey it takes to get there. Celebrate the accomplishments you make along the way. How will you reward yourself? Set benchmarks so you recognize your progress.
- Hire a coach. As a co-active coach, I hold all people creative, resourceful and whole. I am the spark that ignites your inspiration and leads you to action. A recent McKinsey report on leadership stated that most CEOs have lots of innovation but don’t take the action needed to transform what they are doing. I want to help you identify your values, commit to action, and evoke transformation. Contact me to find out if coaching is right for you.
What do you do to stay motivated? I would love to hear your secrets to success. You can reach me at email@example.com.